Friday, January 7, 2011

Life is sweet...


I found out some absolutely fantastic news today!

But, first a little back story...

I don't know about the rest of you, but since going vegan (2 years ago :)- yay!) I have definitely had slip ups here and there, "cheated" if you will. One of my favorite things to "cheat" on my veganism with have been these absolutely delicious cupcakes from a local place called Susie's Shortbreads. Now I've really only had maybe 3 of these cupcakes in the past 2 years, but they have been INCREDIBLE.



Well, this morning, I went on twitter, and guess what?!?!




SUSIE'S IS NOW OFFERING VEGAN CUPCAKES!

I was so excited! and they gave out free samples today, which are just as delicious as the non-vegan ones (maybe more-so) , but without the guilt of cheating!! (I wish I could have snapped a picture of them to share, but they pretty much look like the ones featured above- although the trial cupcakes were plain vanilla).


I spoke to the woman behind the cupcake, TJ Peach, who told me that after polling the twitter world for substitution suggestions she settled on coconut milk to replace the milk, Earth Balance in place of butter, and apple sauce as an egg replacer!

She already offers gluten-free cupcakes, and mentioned that she hopes to be able to offer cupcakes that are both vegan AND gluten free in the future.

If you are ever in Halifax NS and you want a delicious vegan treat you need to try one of these cupcakes!

On a different note I made it to the gym this morning for about an hour and felt fantastic! I think starting my day off with a workout is a fantastic idea- it completely pumped me up for the rest of the day!

After a fun filled day of getting my student ID replaced, dealing with student loans and paper writing I returned home and attempted to figure out something for supper. I settled on some over roasted sweet potatoes (Inspired by a recipe I noticed over at Snacking Squirrel ), some asparagus, and a nice yummy green smoothie (mango + OJ + water + flax +spinach)


I tossed my potatoes (sweet, and red skinned) in some olive oil and a mix of Italian spice, chili flakes, black pepper, and poultry seasoning (don't worry there is no poultry in it ;) )- I baked them at 375 degrees for about 45mins-1hr (just until they are soft and start to brown slightly)

For the asparagus I tossed them in a little sesame oil + chili flakes + poultry seasoning + crushed black pepper + crushed almond slices + a dash of sea salt. I baked these at 450 degrees for about 7 mins, and then broiled them until the tips started to brown.

It was fantastic, and filling after a long busy day!


No comments:

Post a Comment