Thursday, January 6, 2011

Early mornings...


I had my first 835 am class in a very long time today- which I will have every Tues and Thurs of this semester. Let's just say I need to get back into the practice of getting up early- especially since I no longer live right on campus. But, I made it- and the class seems like it will be interesting without being too hard- which is nice since I have a lot of lab work to catch up on this semester!

Thanks to the Magic Bullet that Santa (aka my awesome Mom and Dad) got me for Christmas this year I still had time to start my day with a quick yet delicious smoothie!

I don't have any pictures, but I pretty much just stuffed some mixed berries, spinach, water and ground flax into the MB, blended a few times and was out the door!

I finished off the last of my Dahl for lunch today - just as delicious today as the night I made it :)

I spent pretty much my entire day sitting at my desk reading papers/ working on my paper (took a break to go to a seminar- woop woop).

Then I came home and made a DELICIOUS supper...


Whole wheat bow-tie pasta with veggies in a red wine tomato sauce

1/4 onion, chopped
3 asparagus spears, chopped
1/4 sm. zucchini, chopped
1 mini orange pepper (or 1/2 regular size), chopped
several cloves of garlic, chopped (I used 5, but I LOVE garlic)
Handful of spinach



Heat olive oil in a pan, add veggies (except spinach) and cook to desired texture (I like mine to still be a little crunchy), meanwhile boil the water and add the pasta of your choice (I used bow-ties, but anything would work)

Red Wine Tomato Sauce

3 large vine ripened tomatoes
splash of red wine (I used a Cabernet Sauvignon)
1/2 tsp. Italian spice (or to taste)
1/4 tsp rosemary
Crushed red pepper/ black pepper to taste





Combine the tomatoes and wine in a blender. Add to the pan with your vegetables. Add spices and let simmer (the sauce will thicken as it cooks).



Just before the pasta is done add the spinach to the sauce, once it wilts drain the pasta and mix it with the sauce.

Voila! - this made enough for 2-3 servings for me (aka supper tonight and at least lunch tomorrow!), and was completely delicious!

FYI- I have also made the sauce before without the wine, and it is still delicious. I just like the added flavor that a little red wine adds to the dish.

If you're like me and like your food super spicy you can throw some extra crushed red pepper flakes on top! (Nutritional yeast is also a nice touch :) )

April xo

No comments:

Post a Comment